A botched flu diagnosis claimed the life of a 12-year-old girl in Visalia, California. Alyssa Alcaraz was declared dead on the 17th of December at the local hospital. Post-mortem record indicated that Alyssa had a strep infection.
Flu Misdiagnosis Costs Lives
On the 17th of December, Alyssa Alcaraz of Visalia was rushed to a local care clinic after her flu took a turn for the worst. According to the girl’s mother, several days prior to the tragic event, Alyssa started exhibiting unusual symptoms soon after returning from school.
Believing that the young teen might have come down with food poisoning after eating at the school’s cafeteria, her mother took her to the nearest clinic where a doctor diagnosed her with the flu.
Several days later, Alyssa’s symptoms worsened, prompting her family to take her to an emergency care clinic instead. The girl’s bloodwork indicated that her blood oxygenation rate was below par. When asked about the girl’s initial diagnosis, the mother told the doctors that her daughter had been diagnosed with the flu.
The clinic doctors decided to transfer the 12-year-old to another hospital for additional tests and treatment. Alyssa was later diagnosed with a severe strep infection.
Unfortunately, the strep wreaked havoc on Alyssa’s body which later passed away at the hospital. The coroner’s report determined that the youngster’s official cause of death was septic shock caused by the strep infection.
Heartbroken, the girl’s family are now making preparations for Alyssa’s funeral. Keila Lino, Alyssa’s mother, said in a Facebook post that her girl had a life-long passion for music, and not a day would go by without her voice being heard throughout the house.
Alyssa’s obituary read that the 12-year-old enjoyed cooking, singing in the school’s choir and was into sciences. Both the mom’s Facebook post and the obituary appeared on the second day of Christmas.
Image source: Flickr