Coffee buffs probably know that the day cannot start without a big cup of morning Joe. However, there’s a big difference between drinking a cup of coffee in the morning just to get the engine started and were rushed to the hospital for dialysis after a caffeine overdose. This is exactly what happened to two students from the US, after participating in a caffeine study.
In 2015, two students from the Northumbria University, United Kingdom required immediate hospitalization after a coffee intake study went wrong. According to the school’s faculty, the two 20-year-old sports students willingly enrolled in a study whose aim was to assess the impact of caffeine in athletes’ performance.
The participants would receive a small amount of the drug during the study, in the form of a white powder diluted in orange juice. However, when calculating the daily doses , one of the scientists made the near-fatal mistake of relying on a mobile calculator.
In accordance with the numbers, each student was to receive 0.3 grams of powder per day. Unfortunately, during the calculations, the scientists misplaced a decimal point. So, instead of receiving 0.3 grams per day, each student received a whopping 30 grams of pure caffeine per day or the equivalent of 300 cups of coffee.
After administering the first powdered dose, the students began to experience violent symptoms such as nausea, disorientation, dizziness, and rapid pulse. Needless to say, that they were immediately rushed to the nearest hospital for emergency treatment.
The doctors who treated the two Northumbria University sports students said that it’s a miracle that the two are still alive considering that even 15 grams of pure caffeine are more than enough to kill a healthy adult.
Once rushed to the hospital, the two students were hooked up to a dialysis machine to have the excess caffeine flushed out from their systems. The doctors declared that the two students are now stable, but have lost approximately 22 pounds after the procedure.
Unfortunately, it would seem that one of them experiences recurrent short-term memory issues. The authorities fined the University for its carelessness.
So, the conclusion of this event kind of stands out for itself. Coffee or, more specifically, caffeine, can be good for you, but large amounts of caffeine can potentially be fatal. The sports students from the Northumbria University were lucky that they were rushed to the hospital as soon as they’ve started exhibiting the first symptoms of caffeine overdose.
Image source: PublicDomainPictures