On the subject of things not to do before going to sleep, we present you the case of a man from Alabama, who almost died after being shocked by his iPhone’s mobile charged. The man from Huntsville, Alabama was rushed to the local hospital, where he was treated for second- and third-degree burns to his neck.
Wiley Day, the protagonist of this unsavory story, told the reporters that the deed occurred on the 23rd of March. Before going to bed, Day would plug in his iPhone charger to the outlet near the nightstand and leave his phone on the bed over the night. However, this habit could have cost him his life.
According to Day, sometime during the morning, the metal dog-tag necklace he was wearing around his neck somehow got caught in the iPhone charger’s metal prongs which got loose over the night. At that moment, a jolt of electricity traveled from the prong, through the metal chain, directly into Day’s neck.
As the man declared, the next thing he knew was waking up near the bed and feeling numbness in his neck. Day is saying that there aren’t enough adjectives in the English dictionary to describe what he felt when the jolt is coming from metal dog-tag necklace traveled through his body.
Day recalls that, shortly after being thrown off the bed, his eyesight began to grow dinner, and he knew that it was the end of the line for him if he didn’t try to do something. With one last effort, Willie Day manage to remove the dog-tag necklace and to shout for help. Luckily, Day’s family was at home when the accident occurred.
The day was immediately taken to the local hospital, where he received emergency care for second- and third-degree burns. Benjamin Fail, the physician who attended Day’s case, declared that Willie should consider himself lucky to be alive considering that approximately 110V of electricity traveled through his body.
After three days spent in intensive care, Willie Day made a full recovery and was discharged from the Huntsville Hospital. Although Day has been to Hell and back, he said that there’s a lesson to be learned here –it’s probably not the brightest idea to leave electronics on your bed overnight, especially if they are plugged in.
Day also said that ever since the March incident, he’s charging his iPhone in the kitchen.
Image source: FreeGreatPicture