Months after the incident was considered a hoax a lawyer was charged in the case of California woman abduction. The victim, Denise Huskins, said she was abducted for ransom, but police accused her of making up her own kidnap in an attempt to mirror the Gone Girl movie.
Last month Matthew Muller of Orangevale, California was charged after he was arrested in San Francisco Bay Area. According to the FBI he was involved in a home-invasion robbery very similar to the kidnapping.
On March 23 the 29-year-old woman was taken from her Vallejo house where she lived together with her boyfriend. A group of individuals broke into the house and tied up her boyfriend, Aaron Quinn. His lawyers explained that the man woke up to a bright light in his face and that he was bound and drugged by two individuals. Quinn reported the incident and said that the kidnappers demanded a ransom of $8.500.
After two days Huskins returned safe in her Huntington Beach hometown just a few hours before the ransom was due and she claimed she was simply dropped off there. That is why police in Vallejo considered the case a hoax.
The suspect, 38-year-old Matthew Muller was taken in custody at this home in South Lake Tahoe. On June 29 a federal warrant was issued for his arrest in connection with Husinks’ abduction. He is kept in Dublin, at the Santa Rita Jail. He seems to have been educated at Harvard Law and had worked at a law firm in San Francisco, Kerosky, Purves & Bogue. According to the State Bar of California in 2014 he lost his license to practice. It seems that the lawyer did not manage to file the right documents for one of his clients and afterwards he refused to return the sum of money he was paid.
The police connected him with the kidnapping after they discovered a pair of goggles in his truck. They were the same pair which Huskins was wearing at the moment she was kidnapped. They also discovered a water pistol with a laser pointer and a flashlight. The ones who abducted Huskins sent photos with these objects to the newspaper.
Muller did not cooperate with the bar’s investigation so the State Bar Court recommended his disbarment in January. The state Supreme Court ordered his disbarment in June.
Image Source: Daily Mail