It goes around without saying that the wedding should be the happiest moment of your life. However, things don’t always go as planned, a fact discovered by several dinner guests who came down with salmonella poisoning after attending a wedding.
The Alabama Health Department has been notified that several guests who attended a wedding experienced salmonella-related symptoms after eating food at a catered event. According to the health authorities, the wedding and catered reception took place on the 12th of November in Colbert County, Alabama.
A week later, approximately 77 guests came down with salmonella poisoning, twelve of them needing immediate hospitalization. Preliminary laboratory reports confirmed that some of the food samples, including the chicken and the green bean, were contaminated with salmonella enteriditis.
After learning that the food was indeed contaminated, the Alabama Health authorities rescinded the catering company’s license. Up until now, the name of the catering company that served food during the wedding’ s reception was not disclosed.
Although salmonella enteriditis is commonly associated with raw eggs, according to the health authorities, uncooked chicken can also become infected with this foodborne bacteria.
The first symptoms associated with salmonella poisoning appear in the first 12 to 72 hours after contact. These include high fever, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. Fortunately, the symptoms usually last for 4 to 7 days, and most patients recover without taking antibiotics.
The standard course of treatment for salmonella poisoning is bedrest and rehydration. In severe cases, patients may require IV fluids and antibiotics.
Salmonella enteriditis can be prevented. Here’re a couple of tips that will definitely save you a trip to the hospital.
- Thoroughly cook meat. If you’re about to prepare meat-based dishes at home, don’t forget to cook your meat, especially if you’re serving poultry.
- Boil or cook your eggs before eating them.
- Wash your hands and any kitchen utensil that came in contact with meat.
- Always wash your hand after handling reptiles and cat’s feces.
As for the patients that contracted salmonella poisoning during the wedding reception, the doctors said that they’re responding well to treatment and that they will soon be discharged from the hospital.
Although salmonella enteriditis is very treatable, some patients may risk developing complications such as irritable bowel syndrome, reactive arthritis, and heart-related conditions.
The Health Authorities from Alabama declared that this was an isolated incident and that no salmonella poisoning events have been reported after that.
Image source: Pixabay