Back in 2014, Khaliah Shaw suffered from depression, so she went to her doctor seeking help. Her physician then prescribed her lamotrigine, an anti-seizure drug known as Lamictal on the U.S. market. What happened next seemed to be taken out of a horror movie script as Shaw’s face started to melt, doctors having to put her into a coma.
Shaw Wants to Spread Awareness on the Dangers of Wrong Medication
Soon after Shaw picked up her prescription for Lamictal, she woke up covered in a red rash and purulent blisters. Suspecting her symptoms were caused by her new depression medication, the 26-year-old sought immediate medical attention.
A few hours after her initial symptoms appeared, Shaw started to feel like her whole body was on fire. Her skin was slowly melting from the inside-out, making her look like she just escaped a flaming house. The pain was so intense that doctors were obligated to put her into a medically-induced coma for five straight weeks.
According to the doctors, the allergic reaction caused the woman to develop a highly rare skin disorder called Steven Johnsons Syndrome. Due to the severity of her allergy, Shaw is unable to take any drugs remotely resembling Lamictal.
Why Was Shaw’s Depression Treated with an Anti-Epileptic?
Shaw’s skin melted almost completely, and it took her three years and over $3,5 million in medical bills to look almost normal. She is now suing GlaxoSmithKline for promoting the drug without mentioning its life-threatening side effects.
However, the root of all evil is the doctor who prescribed an anti-epileptic to a person suffering from depression. Why was he allowed to do that? Because that’s how the industry works. When a medication doesn’t show promising results for the disease it was created, the company expands its benefits, marketing it as a miracle drug for another affliction. That’s how an anticonvulsive becomes a casual depression treatment and patients end up in the hospital with life-threatening allergies to the wrong medication.
Image Source: Wikipedia