Toxicological tests performed by the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner confirmed that two teens from Utah died due to a severe intoxication with the pink drug, also known as U-47700.
Back in September, two 13-year old teens were found dead in their homes in Park Town only two days apart. Their bodies were discovered by their family members, and since then the medical examiners could not determine the exact cause of their deaths.
However, according to the recent tox screen results, the two Utah teens died after taking large doses of an opioid compound acquired on the Internet. Additional investigations revealed that the teens ordered the dangerous opioid-based compound from China, a fact confirmed by their social media accounts.
According to the authorities, U-47700 belongs to the same opioid family as morphine, but it is a couple of times more powerful. In addition, a single dose of U-47700 or the pink drug can be lethal if it was laced with other drugs.
Investigators said that these opioid derivatives are usually produced in oversea labs, and that is has been used as a recreational drug for only a short amount of time. In addition, the pink drug has been listed on the banned substances act, but this order has not been issued yet.
Meanwhile, the DEA are investigating how the pink drug was brought in Park City. Up until now, the investigators managed to trace down the origin of the drug and have arrested another teen from the same city, whom they believe that he was distributing the drug.
The teen from Park City who was arrested has been charged with reckless endangerment and distribution of controlled substances.
However, as the investigators see it, this is not the end of the story. The Drug Enforcement Administration said that the drug can still be easily purchased online from legit vendors. In addition, its low price of $40 per dose makes the pink drug even more alluring for those who want to purchase recreational drugs.
Furthermore, it would seem that the two teens weren’t the only victims left behind by this menacing new synthetic opioid. According to the DEA, over 50 people have died all over the world this year due to acute U-47700 intoxication.
Image source: Wikipedia