Two male students from the Northumbria University were nearly killed after they were given too much caffeine. The students, who enrolled in a study regarding the effects of caffeine in sports, received 30g of caffeine per day instead of 0.3 grams after a researcher misplaced a decimal point.
A British study took a turn for the worse after two 20-year-old students were hospitalized. According to the doctors that treated them, the patients nearly died after ingesting too much caffeine. As a result of their harrowing experience, the students lost a lot of weight, and one of them has short-term memory issues.
The events that led to the two students being hospitalized began earlier this year when they agreed to partake in a study focused on the effects of caffeine on physical performance. For the purpose of the study, the subjects were asked to take caffeine powder, which, according to the University, was supposed to be administered via a solution containing a mix of water and orange juice.
However, during the study, one of the scientists in charge of the dosages made a near-fatal error. After using a pocket calculator, the scientist administered 30 grams of caffeine instead of 0.3 grams. Adam Farrer, the prosecutor in charge of the case, declared that even 14 grams of pure caffeine could kill a healthy adult, let alone 30 grams. He also said that the students were fortunate enough to have been rushed to the hospital after the first symptoms emerged.
Luke Parkin and Alex Rossetta are the two Northumbria University students who had to be rushed to the hospital after suffering a caffeine overdose. According to the University’s spokespersons, almost immediately after received their caffeine doses, the students started exhibiting various OD symptoms, including dizziness, violent shaking, blurred vision, and rapid heartbeat.
Taking into account that a cup of coffee contains roughly 0.1 grams of caffeine, it would seem that the students received the equivalent of 300 cups of coffee. Rossetta and Parking were immediately rushed to the local hospital, where they’ve received emergency medical care.
To flush out the excess caffeine from the systems, the doctors hooked the two male patients to a dialysis machine. Due to their ordeal, the male students lost a lot of weight, and Alex Rosetta seems to be experiencing short-term memory issues.
Because of its carelessness, the University has been fined, and the study canceled.
Image source: Pixabay